Monday, April 21, 2008

Materialism

So, I am a materialist. This means I don't believe in immaterial stuff. Even when I consider the possibility of ghosts and the like existing, I figure they would have to be made of SOMETHING. I don't see how this is an extreme position.
I have no reason to believe in anything non-physical. Even if something isn't explainable with what I know, to assume that it is something immaterial is a copout explanation that doesn't help in actually explain anything. For instance the question, "How does conciousness exist?" may get the answer "It is made out of an immaterial substance". This doesn't help advance our knowledge of the mind, since this explanation is non-falsifiable. You can never prove something intangible exists, so why believe in it? Subscribing to a notion of immaterial substance existing is an attempt to satisfy one's curiousity with an answer that is unsatisfying to anyone who thinks it over for half a minute.
So to call me extreme for being unsatisfied with such a view of the world is highly erroneous.

No comments: